The Red River Zoo’s Family Campout series returns for Summer 2019! At this fun and exciting event, you and your family will have the opportunity to camp out on the Zoo’s lawn while spending the evening learning about wildlife, outdoor recreation and more. Participants and families with children ages four and older will experience unique activities including unique animal encounters, marshmallow roasting, movie marathons, crafts, early morning bird watching, a special Lights-Out Tour and more. The final camping schedule is still being planned, and itineraries will be sent out to registered participants closer to the camp out weekend.
End of Summer Campout, August 2nd- 3rd
Summer will soon come to a close, but there is still time for more outdoor fun! Join us for another adventure and learn what type of activities we can do outside all year round. Activities and programs will begin the evening of August 2nd at 7:00 pm and end the morning of August 3rd at 9:00 am. Didn’t get enough of the zoo? Enjoy the Zoo for the day with complimentary admission for August 3rd.
Registration and Pricing:
A minimum of one adult over the age of 18 is required per group of (5) child campers.
All campers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian or chaperone at all times.
$25 per Adult camper
$15 per Child camper (ages 12 and under)
$75 Family Camper Bundle; includes admission up to four campers.
Successful completion of the registration and payment reserves your spot within the Family Campout. Available spots are limited to the first 100 campers. Registration will close (3) days before the scheduled date. Reserve your spot now!
**A Media Waiver and release form will be required to complete before the Family Campout date. This waiver will be emailed to all reserved participants upon completion of registration and payment. All campers under the age of 18 will need a legal parent or guardian to sign their media waiver and release form. **
Cancellations will be accepted with a full refund no later than (1) week before the Family Campout date. Cancellations after (1) week before the Family Campout will not be eligible for a refund.
In the case of severe weather, an alternate weekend date will be provided.
What to Bring:
• A comfortable tent for an appropriately sized group. Tents can be rented for an additional fee of $10 per tent while supplies last. The provided tents fit up to 3 people.
• Sleeping bag, blankets, or other sleeping materials (pillow, floor mat, etc. items you may prefer)
• Basic toiletries. Shower services will not be provided.
• Earplugs or headphones (if needed)
• Weather appropriate clothing
• Comfortable shoes
• Bug spray or sunscreen
• Reusable Water bottles are highly recommended.
Outlet availability for electronic devices is not guaranteed. Please ensure all electronic devices you may bring are charged accordingly before entering the Zoo.
The Red River Zoo is not responsible for a loss of property. If lost, there will be a lost and found located in the front office of the Zoo.
Guidelines to keep in mind while within the Red River Zoo:
• Outside food, drinks or alcoholic beverages are not allowed within the Red River Zoo, except for water. If additional food or drink is needed outside of the dinner and breakfast provided within the camp, you may purchase items from the Dancing Crane Café. If a camper has dietary restrictions or allergies, please contact the Education Director no later than one (1) week before your scheduled visit so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
• No smoking or tobacco products are allowed on Zoo grounds at any time. Families will not be able to exit the Zoo during the campout, so participants should prepare necessary accommodations before entering the zoo for the duration of the campout.
• Participants must follow the zoo staff direction at all times. Participants are not allowed behind guardrails, into service areas of exhibits, or into restricted areas without confirmation from the zoo staff.
• The Red River Zoo front office will officially close at 9:00 p.m. Any arrivals later than 9:00 p.m. will need to make arrangements by contacting education staff. If you know you or a member of your party will arrive later than 9:00 p.m., notify us as soon as possible at (701) 277-9240 ext. 310 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• At the end of camp, please clean up your campsite as reasonably as possible.
Inappropriate behavior or violation of Red River Zoo guidelines may result in removal from Red River Zoo property, depending on severity.
Frequently Asked Questions:
• Where will we sleep?
o Tents will be located in our large field in specified areas, South to the carousel. Space is limited, so please bring a tent to accommodate for your family size.
• What if I need to leave the zoo during the Family Campout?
o The Red River Zoo will be closed to the public during this event. The zoo will be secured, and campers will be unable to exit or reenter the zoo without an escort from 9pm-7am. Families may leave in case of emergency by notifying the staff and will be assisted off-grounds. Please accommodate for a full night of fun!
• What animals will we see?
o We can't promise any specific animal encounters, but we are guaranteed to see several animals. Please note some animals may be sleeping, off exhibit, or not visible. While we must respect the animals’ need for beauty sleep, we will explore where our nocturnal animals’ may wander.
• Where do we park when we arrive?
o All campers should park in the front parking lot of the Red River Zoo and enter through the front office location. Please check in with the front office to verify your reservation, then join us near the carousel to set up your campsite.