1. Contestants must pre-register by Friday, June 28. Register online at www.hollyspringsnc.us/july5 or in person at W.E. Hunt Center, Holly Springs Cultural Center, or Bass Lake Park.
2. Pie must be entered in the name of the person who made it.
3. Amateur and novice bakers only may enter. Professional bakers or those who earn a portion of their livelihood from baking or cooking may not enter the contest.
4. Only one entry per person. Each contestant must bake one apple pie for judges to test.
5. Pies must be brought to the July 5th Festival and checked in by 6:00 p.m. to the Blue Ribbon Apple Pie Contest Tent. Pies that require refrigeration cannot be accepted.
6. Each pie must be baked in a disposable 9″ pie pan. Each pie must include a disposable cover.
7. Each pie must be made from scratch; pie fillings and/or pre-made crusts are not acceptable.
8. For the safety of the judges, a copy of your pie recipe with a list of ingredients, recipe name, contestant name, and phone number must be provided. Recipes will not be published or shared publically without the permission of the contestant.
9. Judging will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m. First, second and third place winners will be announced. Prizes will be given to the top three places. Prizes are sponsored by Texas Roadhouse.
10. Pies and recipes become the property of Holly Springs Parks and Recreation and are not guaranteed to be returned.
Judging Criteria and Rules
A panel of judges from the community will judge the entries. This is a blind judging, and all decisions of the judges are final. Winners will be announced after the judging is complete.
1. There will be a minimum of 3 judges, and pies will be evaluated by entrant number only (no names).
2. Judging criteria will include overall appearance and taste. Note that pie pan will not be considered a part of the presentation, (please use a disposable pie tin).
3. Scoring: Each judge will assign a numerical value (1-10) in each category without discussion among judges. The pie receiving the highest total numerical value will be the winner in that category. In the case of a tie, the judges will review and discuss those pies before a second vote.
· Overall Appearance: 1-10 points
· Crust- Color, Texture, Doneness, Flavor: 1-10 points
· Filling–Consistency, Doneness, Moistness, Flavor: 1-10 points
· Flavor: 1-10 points
· Creativity: 1-10 points
4. Judges will not know the names of entrants until the winners are announced.
5. All winners will be announced after the judging.