1. File format: Save the document as a .doc, .docx or .rtf file.
2. Left-justified (ragged right edges).
3. Indent first line of paragraph (.5" preferred).
4. Margins: Minimum of 1" all around.
5. Double-spaced only. Do not use special paragraph formatting of any kind.
6. Font: 12 point Times New Roman (Courier or Courier New also accepted).
7. Word Count: The submission should be 2,000 words or less, not including the required synopsis.
8. Header: Preferred but not required. Header should include category entered, title, and page number (right justified).
9. Your Name: DO NOT include entrant’s name or pseudonym anywhere on the manuscript. (Your name must appear only on your entry form). The contest team removes your name from the file properties of your document before judging begins. All entries will be identified and tracked by an entry number assigned by the contest team.
10. Punctuation: Recommend one space after a period instead of two.
11. Emphasized words: Recommend italics. Underlining is acceptable. Not both.
12. Chapter/Scene breaks: Please keep it simple. Use Chapter Name (example: PROLOGUE, CHAPTER 1) centered (no extra blank lines). If scene breaks are required for readability, use a centered pound sign (#) but no extra blank lines.
13. Synopsis: The required synopsis (between 100 and 250 words in length) must be placed at beginning of the manuscript. Please double-space. Label with centered text SYNOPSIS. Use a page break to separate it from the manuscript. The synopsis is not included in the 2,000-word limit. The synopsis includes intended genre, story premise and other key information for the entry (written as if for an editor or agent, not the back cover blurb).
14. Online Entry Form: Read all rules and guidelines before submitting your entry. Complete the online entry form and upload your submission in the space provided. You may use the same entry form for up to two entries. If you wish to submit 3 or more entries to the contest, please use an additional entry form.
15. Entry Fee: The entry fee is $45 for each manuscript submitted. If you have a coupon code, you may enter it at checkout.
16. Contest Submission Deadline: All contest entries and contest fees must be received by 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (no daylight savings in AZ) on August 31, 2019 (contest opens August 1, 2019). We recommend early submission to allow resolution of any issues before the deadline.
17. Disqualification: Entries that do not meet the Contest Deadline, Rules and Submission Guidelines will be disqualified, and all fees forfeited. All entry issues must be resolved before judging begins. The manuscript should not contain profanity, graphic sex, gratuitous violence, or other objectionable material. CWOW may order the disqualification of submissions not meeting this requirement.