The Heritage Building Improvement Grant Program has been created to provide existing building owners/building operators with a financial incentive to improve the appearance of existing heritage building façades. All applications for this grant program will be considered subject to the availability of funding. Program eligibility will be determined by staff, in consultation with the Economic Development Committee and Executive Committee of the Business Improvement Area.
Grants approved under this program would be provided to property owners/business operators following the submission of the final invoices for the renovation work completed, indicating that the suppliers/contractors have been paid in full.
Eligibility for heritage building improvements includes general work that conserves or enhances designated attributes, conservation of significant exterior architectural features, Recreation of documented historical features, exterior painting in documented historical colours, Structural Repairs, Architectural and/or Engineering Services, Introduction of elements to protect heritage features, Historical landscaping projects and additional heritage improvements as approved by the Town and EDC.
The grants will be up to $5,000 or 50 percent of the cost of the renovation, whichever is less.
All building owners/business operators who are members in good standing of the Business Improvement Area are eligible to apply for funding under this grant program, subject to the following requirements, and the availability of funding as approved by Council:
- Any property owner/business operator wishing to be considered for a grant under this program must complete and submit a Heritage Building Improvement Grant Application Form to the Town, including a design concept and colour scheme, prior to the start of the project.
- Business operators are eligible to apply for a Heritage Building Improvement Grant only if they can provide written consent to conduct the improvements from the owner of the property.
- The heritage building improvement must conform to any design guidelines approved by the Town.
- The subject property shall not be in a position of tax arrears. All taxes owing shall be paid or cancelled, prior to the disbursement of any grant money.
- All final paid invoices must match the original quotes that were submitted as part of the grant application in order to receive the full approved amount. If the completed projects costs do not end up matching the original quotations that were submitted to the review committee, your approved grant amount and payment will be modified based on 50% of the invoice paid or the amount approved in the grant whichever is the lesser amount.
Note: Applicants may apply to one or more of the grant programs to the maximum allowable amount and on the basis of matching funds.