Spiritual Autobiography Writing
What are the foundational moments that make up your life? In this six-week class students will study the genre of spiritual autobiography and memoir, engage in writing exercises and have an opportunity to write their own, and present in depth their work to the cohort.
* * *
What a spiritual autobiography is NOT:
• A spiritual autobiography is NOT a linear outline of your life (“I was born in 1993 and then I and then I and then I . . .”)
• A spiritual autobiography does not need to include every detail of your life, nor should it. You may find that you leave out very
important people, places, and things. That’s okay.
• A spiritual autobiography does not focus on external events except to the extent that externals point to something that has
What a spiritual autobiography IS:
• A spiritual autobiography is a very loosely-structured, deeply personal reflection that tries to capture your inner life in all its
mystery – an ever-changing inner life that is often full of contradictions and complexity.
• A spiritual autobiography often focuses on, or at least begins, with a single event or incident. Often these are not necessarily
dramatic incidents. You would be surprised at the insights that come from the mundane, the every day.
• A spiritual autobiography gives you the freedom to shape your story in any way you choose. Feel free to weave poetry, lyrics, or
scripture into your writing.
* * *
Classes will be Tuesdays from 7-9pm
November 5, 12, 19
December 3, 10
Classes will be at Homewood Friends Meeting, 3107 N Charles Street, in Charles Village. Students are expected at all classes, within reason!
Homewood Friends is wheelchair accessible. Please indicate any childcare needs below and we will do our best to support you and your family.
The cost for the class is $60 for members, $160 for non-members. Click here to learn more about becoming a member.
With questions or concerns about class tuition, please be in touch with Rabbi Ariana. To sponsor a scholarship, please be in touch.
Contact Rabbi Ariana with any questions.