THE 26TH DRAWING SHOW CALL FOR ENTRIES
Field Notes: Lovers, Teachers and the Consciousness In Between
Invited Curator and Juror
Mills Gallery at Boston Center for the Arts
551 Tremont Street, Boston
On View: November 1–December 22, 2019
Opening Reception: Friday November 8, 6–9 pm
ABOUT THE DRAWING SHOW
Since 1979 the Drawing Show has been a widely anticipated hallmark of Boston Center for the Art’s programming. This juried exhibition has allowed BCA to work with more than five hundred artists and invited curators. Proposals are welcome from all artists and designers who explore drawing as a medium in their work.
Truth Teller. Observer. Disrupter. Activator of Possibility.
Since the first cave drawings ages ago, people have been trying to decide on the most accurate titles to describe the function of artists in society. The sentiments behind this exhibition are fueled by the James Baldwin’s quote, “The role of the artist is the same as the role of the lover. If I love you, I have to make you conscious of the things you can’t see.” In order to lift the veils of consciousness through their works, artists themselves are shaped into the role of lover by their past, present, and future.
The 2019 Drawing Show Exhibition will explore how intergenerational connections between family, friends, mentors, colleagues, and/or teachers shape contemporary perceptions of artists’ individual identities. Which in turn impacts the kind of “lover” Baldwin envisions and the means they use to raise consciousness for themselves, their communities, and society at large. Responses to this call can include work that addresses 1 or more of the following questions:
What elements of the past remain present in your work?
Who has shaped what you create? And where can traces of their impact be seen, heard, or felt? Where would you like their impact to be seen, heard, or felt?
What strategies do you employ to raise consciousness?
In addition to stand alone 2D works, the show will feature a large scale “exquisite corpse-esque” collaborative drawing using a wall space in the gallery which requires artists to be present for a minimum of two install days during October.
Please let us know if you have an interest in the collaborative mural and provide at least three work samples that best display your skills and aesthetic. Past mural experience not required.
ABOUT THE CURATOR
Chanel Thervil is Haitian American artist and educator obsessed with finding the intersections of art, history, and pop culture. Her art practice has taken the form of writing, art workshops, large scale installations, public art, participatory interventions on street corners, and mixed media portraits that grapple with the intersections of communal and individual identity. In addition to being honored as one of The ARTery25, her work has been featured in the deCordova’s 2019 New England Biennial, The Boston Globe, and WBUR’s Open Studio with Jared Bowen. While she has been somewhat of a Jill-of-all-trades on the art landscape, she looks forward to partnering with the Boston Center for the Arts to curate this exhibition.
For more than 40 years, Boston Center for the Arts (BCA) has served as a not-for-profit, multidisciplinary arts center that supports working artists to create, perform and exhibit new works; develops new audiences; and connects arts to community. We are the foundation and catalyst for creation and experimentation and an artistic home for emerging, mid-career and and established visual and performing artists.
The 26th Drawing Show, Field Notes: Lovers, Teachers and the Consciousness In Between, is open to all local, national and international artists.
Only complete submissions will be reviewed.
Submission deadline: 11 pm on Sunday, September 8, 2019
Notification of accepted work: Wednesday, September 25, 2019
(BCA will notify selected artists. No phone calls, please.)
Drop off /Delivery of accepted work: October 23-25, 2019 Installation: October 28–31, 2019
Opening Reception: Friday, November 8, 2017, 6–9 pm
HOW TO APPLY: Please see following pages for application instructions and submission form.
Requirements & General Guidelines
1. The Visual Arts staff of the Mills Gallery at BCA, in consultation with the Curator, will make all final decisions regarding appropriateness of materials and installation methods.
2. Artists are responsible for all expenses, packing and logistics related to the delivery and/or shipment of the work to and from the gallery. All work must be delivered with pre-paid return labels in order for your work to be returned to you.
3. Packaging and Shipping: All artwork must be securely and properly packed for shipping both to and from the gallery. BCA is not responsible for damage to artwork during the shipping process, both to and from the gallery. All artwork to be shipped must also contain pre-paid return shipping labels.
4. Selected work must arrive ready to hang. Any special hanging requirements or mounting needs instructions and hardware/materials must be included in shipment.
5. Selected artists are expected to participate in press interviews, media tours, and other such requests.
Required Application Materials
Online Submission Form (below), including:
· Name and contact information
· Resume – please upload your resume
· Artist Statement – Describe how the submitted work(s) fit within the themes raised by the Curator's Statement, above. 500 word limit
· Brief Narrative Biography – 250 word limit
· Image List and Links to Video Clips, with passwords – Upload a document with information identifying images submitted and providing links to time-based media clips (including any required passwords). Please number the images on Image List to correspond with numbers on uploaded jpegs or links. Information should include:
- Your name, title and date of work, media, dimensions. Please indicate if image is a detail.
· Images – Upload a total of up to 6 jpeg images. These must be labeled as follows: Last Name_# (example Smith_1, Smith_2 etc). Make sure numbers correlate to image list. Images must be jpegs, hi res preferred.
**PLEASE NOTE: Submission form is not re-editable. Please have all documents, text, and images ready before starting submission process. Once "SUBMIT" is entered application can’t be changed**