You understand… that I am not an attorney, and A+ Legal Document Assistants is not a law firm. I cannot represent you in court. I cannot advise you about your legal rights or the law. I cannot select legal forms for you. James Dodd owner of A+ Legal Document Assistants, is registered in Sonoma County Registration Number LDA-75. To confirm that James Dodd is registered, you may contact the Sonoma County clerk's office at: (707) 565-3800.
LEGAL DOCUMENT ASSISTANT CONTRACT FOR SELF-HELP SERVICES This is a contract between me and you, for the self-help services described in Part I below. I am the "legal document assistant" and you are the "client."
1. You should read and understand this entire contract before you sign it. You should understand the kinds of services that I can and cannot perform for you (see Part I below).
2. I am not an attorney. I cannot perform the legal services that an attorney performs. I cannot engage in the practice of law.
3. The county clerk has not evaluated or approved my knowledge or experience or the quality of my services.
4. I am acting as a legal document assistant without the supervision of an attorney. I am not acting as a paralegal. By law, a paralegal may only perform services under the supervision of an attorney. If you wish to have an attorney supervise the services provided, you must personally retain an attorney to act on your behalf.
5. I cannot keep your original documents if you request that I return them to you. I cannot keep your original documents if you and I do not sign this contract or if this contract terminates (ends) for any reason. I cannot keep your original documents after all the contract services have been provided (see Part I below). It is a violation of California law if I keep your original documents under any of these circumstances.
6. It is a violation of California law if I make any false or misleading statement to you.
7. I cannot obtain special favors from, and I do not have any special influence with, any court or any state or federal agency.
8. As required by law, I have filed a bond or made a cash deposit and have registered as a legal document assistant in each county where I will perform services on your behalf.
I. SELF-HELP SERVICES Kinds of services that I can perform for you: I can perform the following self-help services for you in connection with a legal matter in which you are representing yourself: I can type or otherwise complete, as you specifically direct, legal documents that you have selected. I can provide you general published factual legal information that has been written or approved by an attorney, to help you represent yourself. I can provide you published legal documents. I can file and serve legal forms and documents as you specifically direct. These are the only kinds of services that I can perform for you. I cannot provide you any service if you need additional services. If you need additional services, then you require the services of an attorney. Kinds of services that I cannot perform for you: I cannot provide you any self-help service unless you are representing yourself in a legal matter and the self-help service relates to that legal matter. I cannot engage in the practice of law. This means that I cannot give you any kind of advice, explanation, opinion or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, strategies or options that you may have. I cannot give you any advice, explanation, opinion or recommendation regarding selection of forms.
II. FEES AND EXPENSES You agree to pay me the following fees, costs and expenses. Service of process includes 3 attempts. We will provide you all the following services (list all services for which the client is being charged):
A. Prepare, File, & Serve Petition, Summons- $400. Prepare and File Declaration Regarding Service of Declaration of Disclosure- $200
* Mandatory Court Filing Fee $435 (Unless You Qualify For Fee Waiver) You are paying me only for those services listed above and no others. It is unlawful for me to make any guarantee or promise to you unless it is written in this contract and unless I have a factual basis for making the guarantee or promise.
III. CANCELLATION You may cancel this contract for any reason within 24 hours after we both have signed it. If you cancel the contract, I must immediately refund any fees which you have paid me. The only fees that I may keep are fees for services which I have actually, necessarily and reasonably performed on your behalf during the 24-hour period. I cannot keep any fees for services performed during the 24-hour period unless you knew that I would perform those services and you expressly agreed in this contract that I would perform them. To cancel this contract, send me a written notice stating that you are canceling the contract. Mail the notice by first-class mail with the correct postage, and send it to me at my address (see Part V below). Cancellation takes effect on the date of the postmark on the notice. You can also cancel this contract by delivering a written notice of cancellation to my address within the 24-hour period. You may also cancel this contract at any time if I: ● Fail to give you a copy of this contract before providing any services to you, or ● Fail to specify in the contract the services which I will perform and the costs of those services, or ● Fail to give you a copy of the contract in English and in any other language that you understand and that was principally used in any oral sales presentation or negotiation leading to execution of the contract. If you cancel this contract for any of these reasons, I must immediately refund in full any fees which you have paid me. You may also cancel this contract at any time if you have legal cause.
IV. ATTORNEY'S FEES AND COSTS In the event of suit for damages arising from this contract or to enforce any of its provisions, the court may award the prevailing party his or her reasonable attorney's fees and costs. The venue for any disputes about this contract is the county where you live in California.
V. DESCRIPTION OF THE PARTIES
Legal Document Assistant: James C. Dodd
Business Name: A+ Legal Document Assistants
Street Address of Business: 1390 N. McDowell Blvd Suite G #257 Petaluma, CA 94954
Telephone Number: 707-696-1043
LDA Registration Information: County of Sonoma LDA-75
I have filed a bond in Sonoma County, California.