The Façade Improvement Grant Program has been created to promote the sensitive redesign of existing building façades to enhance the existing image of the area. This program is intended to provide existing building owners/business operators with a financial incentive to improve the
appearance of existing building façades. All applications for this grant program will be considered subject to the availability of funding. Program eligibility will be determined by Staff, in consultation with the Economic Development Committee and the Executive Committee of the Business Improvement Area.
Grants approved under this program would be provided to owners/business operators following the submission of the final invoices for the renovation work completed, indicating that the suppliers/contractors have been paid in full.
Eligibility for façade improvements include painting (including wall murals), restoring façade masonry and brickwork, restoring architectural features, replacing or repairing windows, improvement of the appearance of entrances, re-design of storefronts, installation of new signs (subject to sign by-law), installation or repair of canopies and awnings, install or repair exterior
lighting, and additional facade improvements as approved by the Town and EDC.
These grants will be up to $5,000 or 50 per cent of the cost of the renovation, whichever is less.
All building owners/business operators who are members in good standing with the Business Improvement Area are eligible to apply for funding under this grant program, subject to the following requirements, and the availability of funding as approved by Council:
- Any property owner/business operator wishing to be considered for a grant under this program must complete and submit a Façade Improvement Grant Application Form to the Town, including a design concept and colour scheme, prior to the start of the project.
- Business operators are eligible to apply for a Façade Improvement Grant only if they can provide written consent to conduct the improvements from the owner of the property.
- The façade improvement must conform to any design guidelines approved by the Town.
- The subject property shall not be in a position of tax arrears. All taxes owing shall be paid or cancelled, prior to the disbursement of any grant money.
- All final paid invoices must match the original quotes that were submitted as part of the grant application in order to receive the full approved amount. If the completed projects costs do not end up matching the original quotations that were submitted to the review committee, your approved grant amount and payment will be modified based on 50% of the invoice paid or the amount approved in the grant whichever is the lesser amount.
Note: Applicants may apply to one or more of the grant programs to the maximum allowable amount and on the basis of matching funds.
Disclaimer: All information collected in this application becomes public information with the exception of personal contact information and tax-related information.