Montreat Small Group Leader Application
The youth who attend Montreat Youth & Middle School Conferences tell us that they love small group - a place where they can fit right in and share their journey of faith with their peers. They need outstanding Small Group Leaders (SGL) to facilitate this important experience - perhaps it’s YOU they need!
In addition to leading your small group:
• You may be asked to volunteer for conference tasks, recreation, registration, etc.
• You’ll be reimbursed for travel expenses (based on the conference center travel policy).
• You’ll receive on-site lodging and meals.
• You’ll have access to child care at Montreat site conferences (lodging and meals for children and family members are the financial responsibility of the SGL and are on a space available basis).
Expectations & Requirements of MYC & MSC 2020 Small Group Leaders
SGLs are needed for youth conferences on-site at Montreat and for the Middle School Conference at Maryville College in Maryville, TN. Montreat Conference Center is committed to selecting a wide range of persons who:
● Are members of denominations that relate to the World Communion of Reformed Churches (see member churches at www.wcrc.ch)
● Are 21 years of age by the time the conference begins
● Are experienced youth leaders (volunteer or professional)
● Ultimately value the experience our young people have – encountering God’s work, forming Christian community and growing in faith at Montreat – more than their own “Small Group Leader experience”
● Will be available and fully present for SGL training. See application for training times
● Will abide by the Montreat SGL Covenant included with this application.
The selection process of Small Group Leaders is composed of three major elements:
● The evaluation of experience working with youth
● The assessment of prior teaching and group leadership
● The recognition of an abiding Christian faith and prior service to the Church
Montreat staff work together to select SGLs that represent diverse geographical distribution, racial/ethnic diversity, and both paid and volunteer church leadership. We will work to fill Small Group Leadership in a way that reflects our commitment to diversity. In selecting Small Group Leaders, we take into account both the individual and the overall profile of a week’s leadership slate, distance traveled, and length of service/availability.
To apply, please fill out and submit the following SGL application.
Once all positions have been filled, applications will be placed on a waiting list.
SGL manuals including complete details will be available in late spring 2020.
What is a Small Group Leader responsible for?
● Printing out your own copy of the Small Group Leader Manual and preparing your lessons prior to coming to Montreat for training
● Bringing a few specialty supplies as requested by MRA staff or Conference Directors
● Embracing the call and responsibility of serving as a Small Group Leader with energy, intelligence, imagination, and love
● Agreeing to and abiding by the Small Group Leader Covenant included in this application
● Covering costs of lodging, meals, and travel for children & family members and must be paid prior to your arrival. Family housing is given on a space available basis and won’t be made until two weeks prior to the conference
What is Montreat Conference Center responsible for?
● Covering the costs of the SGL’s travel according to the Montreat Conference Center travel policy (you will be given a copy of the policy if selected)
● Housing and meals during the conference. Small Group Leaders share a double room with another Small Group Leader. (At Middle School Conference, SGLs may choose to stay with their back home group.)
● Most of the supplies for the Small Group experience
● Preparing the Small Group Manual and providing a pdf to Small Group Leaders
● Covering the cost of the required background check
● Covering costs of childcare during childcare hours (Montreat site only)