CALL FOR ARTISTS
Ruston Artisans is pleased to announce that we are accepting artist applications for our October 23 – January 3, 2019 Exhibition, ‘Contrasts’.
plural noun: contrasts
1. the state of being strikingly different from something else in juxtaposition or close association.
This Exhibition will feature Kit Gilbert (Ruston, LA) and Wendy Walker Silverman (Nashville, TN). Submitted art that compliments the Exhibition and fits the definition will be selected. Artists are invited to submit two pieces of art that are strikingly different from each other. The juxtaposition may be in style, balance, pattern, color, texture, shape, composition, etc.
This exhibition opportunity is open to all artists to include painting, drawing, sculpture, mixed media, ceramics, graphic design, film/video, jewelry and photography. There is no residency requirement. Professionals as well as students are encouraged to enter. Participating artists must sign a contract. Content is open to artist interpretation of the aforementioned description.
We are accepting all traditional and non-traditional types of art/materials. Sizes and prices for each piece of art must be identified with the submission package.
Submission of Images
We accept only high-resolution quality digital images/files for consideration. Images must be in PNG or JPEG. Artist may elect to have gallery create high-resolution images and will be billed accordingly. Images must be titled: LastnameFirstname_Title.png or jpeg. Ruston Artisans will retain the submitted images of accepted artwork and reserves the right to use the images in publications, promotions and sales.
Delivery and Return of Work
All work accepted for the exhibition must arrive ready to install. Works not gallery-ready, or not exhibiting good craftsmanship may be omitted from exhibiting/exhibit. Accepted work that differs significantly from the entry images or suffers from poor presentation will be disqualified. Please note that professional-level presentation and craftsmanship is a must. Work may be hand delivered or shipped. Shipped works must be sent in an easily reusable container/packaging with return shipping prepaid. Works will be returned in the same manner as delivered or via UPS/USPS. All work must arrive at Ruston Artisans by the specified date of show hanging. Accepted work will remain on display for the duration of the exhibition. Works not claimed within 30 days of the end of the exhibit will become the property of Ruston Artisans. The artist is responsible for all shipping costs to and from gallery.
Works are to be insured by artist. Ruston Artisans is not responsible for loaned art to include: theft, vandalism, damage caused by gallery patrons or staff, or damage that occurs during shipping (to include mishandling by carrier or failure of packaging to protect works in transit. Also not covered is damage caused to work by failure of the work itself, its mounting systems installed or provided by the artist, disintegration/degradation due to the nature/quality of materials or craftsmanship, or incidental damage to works whose artist directed presentation methods put them at risk.
Sale of Artwork
Artworks are required to be for sale in order to be included in exhibitions, unless artwork is sponsored for a fee equaling the estimated commission fee. Ruston Artisans will retain a commission of 30% of the sale price on all artwork sold during the exhibition. Ruston Artisans retains rights to sale of art for a period of three (3) months after the close of the sale unless otherwise negotiated. Artists set the sale price on the entry form or submitted image(s), and in doing so should account for all logistical costs, framing, etc. related to making work exhibit ready. Sale price and status cannot be changed after the submission unless negotiated with Ruston Artisans.
The following must be included with each entry. You may submit using the form below or use the following link to submit online: https://form.jotform.com/92725621325152
· Artist Resume/CV: An overview of art-related education/training, career, exhibitions &/or achievements. This must be submitted in PDF for titled LastnameFirstname_CV or Resume.
· Artist Bio (max 250 words): Background info, may include how you became an artist, &/or how you connect to your art/art in general. This must be submitted in PDF for titled LastnameFirstname_Bio.
· Artist Statement (max 300 words): In plain words introduce & explain your artwork-your motivations, intentions, & any special techniques/mediums you employ. This must be submitted in PDF for titled LastnameFirstname_Statement.
· Digital Photo of Yourself. This must be submitted in PDF for titled LastnameFirstname_Photo. Photo must be high quality image.
· 1-3 digital high-resolution images works best. This is a MANDATORY requirement to advertise the Exhibit. You will not be accepted as an exhibiting artist if you fail to submit clear photos that display the nature and quality of your artwork, unless gallery is hired to provide this service.
· October 11, 2019 – Deadline for receipt of images, Artist Statement, Artist Bio, Artist Resume must be received for Exhibition. Artist may complete application below, or complete online at
· October 15, 2019 – Artist notification.
· October 18, 2019 – Gallery ready artwork must be received at Ruston Artisans for exhibition.
· October 23, 2019 – New exhibit opening
· November 9, 2019, 5-7 pm, Contrasts Artist Reception at Ruston Artisans and Kit Gilbert Studio 301
· January 3, 2020 – Final day of exhibition.
· January 8-10, 2020 – Pick up hand-delivered work.
Ruston Artisans is a for-profit organization located in Ruston, Louisiana. Ruston Artisans brings art and people together for enjoyment, discovery, learning, and opportunity. We are committed to creating a place where local art and artists are promoted and supported through exhibitions and programs that strengthen and sustain our community. To that end, we provide workshops and social events in the gallery to further promote the artist and the work.
Ruston Artisans (Gallery and Venue)
203 W Alabama St
Ruston, LA 71270
Gallery hours: W & Th 10 am – 5 pm and F 10 am – 4 pm