COVID-19: 30-June: A mask is now required and we suggest ear plugs to your not distracted by talking. We may have a staggared schedule, with group A and group B or we may have you wait in your car and we will call you when a seat becomes available. Ralph will inform those who RSVP.
NOTE: 30-June: the 1-August session is full. We simply cannot accomidate any additional people. Please sign-up for a future session.
ARRL/FCC Exam sessions are provided the first Saturday monthly at 9:30 AM at the EARS Club Station. If you plan to take two exams we ask you to arrive at 9:00 AM (often we are there and ready by 8:30 - please e-mail if you want to begin early).
EARS Club Station, Edmond Community Center
28 East Main Street, in the heart of downtown Edmond.
We test the first Saturday of each month, with the exception of the July 2020 test date will be the second Saturday not to interfere with July 4 club activities on the first Saturday.
2020: January 4, February 1, March 7, April 4, May 2, June 6, July 11, August 1, September 5, October 3, November 7, December 5.
$15.00 test fee, payable at time of test. Applicants should make their check or money order out to ARRL/VEC. If you bring cash please bring the exact amount, we do not have on-hand cash to break bills.
What you need to bring:
1. We strongly advise you to bring ear plugs to reduce distractions as people come and go, pass their exam, etc.
2. Bring a simple calculator and pencil.
3. Adults should bring a photo ID so we can verify the person taking the exam. Young adults or children should bring a school ID or a parent with a photo ID.
4. You must have a Social Security Number or an FCC FRN.
5. If you passed an exam recently but it is not yet in the FCC ULS, bring your white form that is proof of passing a previous test. Otherwise, bring a copy of your existing FCC license to show to the VE.
6. If you have ever owned a Family Radio Service (FRS) radio then you ALREADY HAVE AN FRN and callsign! You MUST bring it with you or your application will be denied by the FCC as a duplicate new registration instead of an Upgrade! Go to the FCC ULS and search for your information. https://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/
Notice concerning Social Security Number:
The FCC requires your Social Security Number. If you do not want to put your Social Security Number on the form then please go the the FCC web site and register for an FRN (free). Bring your FRN to the exam session. FRN numbers are granted immediately. https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/regEntityType.do
Effective Sept 7, 2017 the application for a new license, upgrades, vanity calls and renewals must indicate if they have been convicted of a felony. The new form 605 is posted here:http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/2017NCVEC605.pdf
A YES will place the application in the “pending file for review” category. Applicants answering YES would have to, within 14 days, provide the FCC with a statement explaining the circumstances, and a statement “giving the reasons why the applicant believes that grant of the application would be in the public interest, notwithstanding the actual or alleged misconduct,” the revised Form 605 instructions state.
The entire article is available here: http://www.arrl.org/news/revised-fcc-form-605-will-ask-applicants-the-felony-question
1. RSVP. If no one RSVP's then the VE's will not be there!
2. When you arrive, follow the signs to the EARS Classroom. Sign-in and advise the VE which test or tests you intend to take.
3. Present a photo ID and proof of an existing license, if any.
4. You will be given an exam and answer sheet and you may start. When you are finished, turn-in your answer sheet and exam and the exam fee. Standby in the hallway until we announce your name!
Tech+ Automatic Upgrade:
If you have an unexpired Tech+ license you can automatically upgrade to General after completing the paperwork at a VE session. You must however bring proof of your current Tech+ license (which may have been renewed at some point as a Tech licence). We do one of these every year or two - please be patient and let us know a few weeks in advance so we can review the rules!
E-mail VE Coordinator, Ralph E. Turner N5AMR
Or text/call: (573) 999-4748
For Form questions you can also e-mail or call Marcus,
The Tiny URL is https://tinyurl.com/K5EOKVE2020