The staff and doctors at South Burnaby Veterinary Hospital (SBVH) are a team of devoted, compassionate, kind, and talented individuals. We are doing our best every single day, and value our relationships with our patients and families above all else. Please read and sign below to indicate your understanding and acknowledgement of this agreement.
As a client of South Burnaby Veterinary Hospital, I agree to the following:
- I agree to treat all staff with respect and dignity at all times, no exceptions. South Burnaby Veterinary Hospital holds a ZERO tolerance policy for abuse (verbal, physical, emotional) including swearing, threats, yelling, throwing or breaking items, in-person or online bullying or harassment, or any other behavior intended to belittle or frighten a staff member. Should this occur, and as long as your pet is clinically stable, you will be asked to leave the hospital immediately and your records forwarded to another veterinarian of your choosing.
- I agree to work with doctors and support staff in coming up with a treatment plan that is appropriate for my family and my pet. Health care is expensive, and veterinary hospitals are no exception to the overall rising costs associated with running a business in the current economy. We are always happy to work within your personal limitations, financial and otherwise, and offer multiple diagnostic and treatment options where available. Purchasing pet insurance if possible is strongly recommended.
- I acknowledge that every single staff member at SBVH plays a vital role in the care of my pet. During your visit, you will encounter multiple team members, including doctors, veterinary technicians, assistants, and client care team members. Each brings different areas and levels of expertise, and it is only with this collaboration at a team level that we are able to continue to bring the gold standard of care to your pet.
- I agree to maintain all scheduled appointments, with the acknowledgement that no-shows or last minute cancellations significantly impact our ability to provide care for patients who may urgently require it. A cancellation within 24 hours of an appointment will result in a charge of 50% of the consultation fee. No-shows will result in a charge of 100% of the exam fee and a requirement that future appointments be paid in advance.
- I understand that results of diagnostic tests will be reported to me in as timely a manner as possible, and that this timeline is dependent on the test being run and the urgency of the results. Thank you for respecting our staff’s time and efforts, and trust that typically, “no news is good news”. Our team prioritizes callbacks and reporting results on a triage system, meaning that families with pets requiring immediate treatment or follow up will be contacted first. If you have not heard from a staff member regarding test results in 72 hours, please give us a call.
Veterinary medicine is a profession that is currently in crisis from a combination of understaffing, burnout, compassion fatigue, economic stress (especially from overwhelming student debt), a sharp rise in the number of patients needing care in recent years, and the difficulties of practicing medicine in both a pandemic and an economic downturn.
Above all, please be kind. We are so grateful for the privilege of caring for your furry family members and look forward to a mutually trusting and caring partnership lasting throughout your pets’ lives.