The purpose of this opportunity is twofold:
1) The participant shall assist in a multitude of activities based at an Occupational Medicine residency program located in Khon Kaen, Thailand.
2) The participant shall experience a unique opportunity to experience a global medicine immersion.
Khon Kaen is a city of just over 113,000 people about 280 miles north of or about a 45 min flight from Bangkok. It is an academic center with a large University covering many fields of specialty. Included in the University is the Medical College, and included in the activities of the medical college is a residency program in Occupational Medicine. This program is run by Naesinee Chaiear, MD, PhD. The Occupational Medicine residency resides in the Division of Occupational Medicine, Department of Community Medicine. Both the University and the Medical College have numerous relationships with academic institutions in the USA, Europe and other centers through MOUs and visiting scholars, and international interactions are promoted. Students in advanced degree programs are typically fluent in English.
The participant in this program will work directly with and under the guidance of the residency program director. Responsibilities may include:
- Instruction of the residents and other medical students in topics pertinent to Occupational Medicine;
- Participation in Occupational Medicine clinics run by the residents and academic staff;
- Supervision of student activities at on-site medical clinics in industrial sites;
- Consultation and assistance in the development of a Masters Degree program in Occupational Medicine which may be inclusive of remote learning opportunities for participants worldwide;
- Consultation and assistance in the development of a Center of Excellence at Khon Kaen university for training programs in Occupational Medicine topics, Industrial Hygiene, Safety Specialist, Safety Engineering, Toxicology; and
- Other activities as may be developed by the Occupational Medicine program and Dr. Chaiear.
The program is designed for a 10-month residency in Thailand. There is a stipend to cover expenses and to provide an income. The cost of living in Khon Kaen is well below typical USA expenses. The climate is relatively high temperature with a rainy season. The food is Thai cuisine with international options. The resident group is very tightly knit and very supportive. Interaction with the residency director is warm and close. There are a variety of interesting sites to be explored including museums, interesting and renowned temples, and with air, bus, car and rail options, many areas to explore. Transportation is inexpensive to western standards. Housing is very affordable. The roads are well maintained. Depending upon the candidate alternative arrangements with multiple shorted duration options for more applicants may be considered.
The ultimate purpose of this Fellowship is to bring the training and expertise of Occupational Medicine as practiced in the USA to the program in Asia. As such, a practicing Occupational Medicine physician looking to experience a global experience would be ideal, bringing both academic and clinical experience. A faculty member looking for a sabbatical would also be a strong candidate. A recently trained graduate of an Occupational Medicine residency program will also be considered. Clinical, management, industrial, and academic experience will be considered. Knowledge of health and safety practices inclusive of Industrial Hygiene solutions and OSHA, FHWA, and other government regulatory solutions would be quite valuable and might help to assist in providing a framework for practices in Thailand. Specialized knowledge may be useful in the variety of industrial employers in Thailand. Thailand has a strong manufacturing industrial base with many international companies represented across the country. An individual involved in promoting safety practices, working with public safety officers, human resource consulting or involved with industrial hygiene teams would also bring valuable expertise.
A valid passport is required.
Recommended Vaccinations: Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Cholera, Hepatitis B, Japanese Encephalitis, Malaria, Rabies, Yellow Fever