The National Indigenous Fashion Awards (NIFA) provides a vibrant and exciting platform to celebrate innovation, diversity and ethical practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and fashion designers, whilst contributing to the capacity building of the sector.
The NIFA is proudly presented by the Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair Foundation's (DAAFF) Indigenous Fashion Projects (IFP), who launched the inaugural event in 2020.
Australian Indigenous fashion is rapidly emerging and gaining global attention. The Northern Territory Government has recognised the need to support this developing space, and will work closely with DAAFF to ensure that the NIFA provide capacity building opportunities for Indigenous Art Centres, emerging Indigenous fashion and textile designers, and recognise excellence in the industry.
The award ceremony will be held on Tuesday, 3 August 2021, in Darwin, and will once again be broadcast by NITV.
Recognising and celebrating Australia’s leading First Nations designers and artists, the NIFA is a unique opportunity that invites the Australian and international fashion community to connect to the world’s oldest living cultures.
CRITERIA & JUDGING PANEL
All nominations need to demonstrate a clear, cohesive aesthetic and quality production. Collections must also show strong evidence of Indigenous agency. The applications received will be vetted by the Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair Foundation, which will include confirming all applicants meet the terms and conditions of entry and that the nomination has been completed. A judging panel of Indigenous art, and fashion industry professionals, will assess the applications. One of the members will be appointed as head judge.
All applications will be assessed as they are presented in the nomination form. Please don’t assume that the judging panel have any prior knowledge about the collection. This means you need to ensure that the judging panel has all the information they need to assess your application.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: 31 May 2021, 5pm ACST
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- Anyone can nominate, including self nominations.
- Nominee must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage.
- Only one nomination per designer, per category, can be submitted. Designers may apply for multiple categories.
- The images provided in the nomination form will be used for marketing purposes to promote the nominee.
- Images provided in the nomination form will be used in perpetuity unless DAAFF is otherwise notified in writing.
- Travel expenses to attend the National Indigenous Fashion Awards are the responsibility of the nominee.