Women2Women - America 2019 International Leadership Program
The Women2Women - America 2019 conference will focus on "The Power of Women" and the critical need for women to promote women's rights, social justice and to stand up to sexual harassment and gender inequality. As a delegate, you will have the opportunity to learn about the current status of women and girls around the world, as well as the social and economic progress that is possible when women and girls have the opportunity to participate fully in every aspect of society. You will meet with leading figures tackling these challenges on an international scale, and develop your leadership skills so you can make a difference. Perhaps most importantly, you will be joining a lifelong, global network of young women who support each other and work together to contribute to positive change around the world.
Despite much progress, women and girls are still the most discriminated against group in the world. Consider these facts:
- Of the billion people living in absolute poverty around the world (unable to secure basic life necessities), 60% are women and girls.
- Women contribute 2/3 of the world’s working hours, yet earn only 10% of the income.
- An extra year of primary school education boosts a girl’s eventual wages by 10-20%. An extra year of secondary school adds 15-25%.
-There are 31 million girls of primary school age not in school. Of these, 17 million are expected never to enter school.
- Worldwide, nearly 50% of all sexual assaults are against girls aged 15 years or younger.
- 1 in 3 girls will experience some form of violence in their lifetime.
- Around the world, 120 million girls under 20 have experienced forced sexual intercourse or some other form of sexual violence.
- Every year 800,000 people are trafficked across national borders. 80% of the victims are women. 50% of the victims are minors.
- 1 in 7 girls in the developing world will be married before her 15th birthday.
- Every minute of every day a pregnant woman dies from mostly preventable causes.
- Women earn 79 cents to every dollar earned by a man.
Unfortunately, there is no community in the world that is untouched by these issues. It's time to come together and make a difference.
While the statistics above are shocking, so too are the results when women and girls are able to participate fully in society. Women involved in the political, social, and economic life of their countries and communities are better positioned to increase attention for women's rights. Simply providing women and girls with an education can lead to healthier families and children, less poverty, and stronger national economies. Education also equips women with the knowledge and skills needed to realize their potential and protect themselves from harm. By participating in W2W 2019, students will learn how to claim their seat at the table and become part of the solution.