About eligibility and the selection process:
An independent Selection Committee will select the final candidates for the Shelter City programme and determine to which Dutch city they will go to: Amsterdam, Deventer, The Hague, Groningen, Haarlem, Maastricht, Middelburg, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Tilburg, Utrecht or Zwolle. We will inform you of our decision before 15 July 2021.
In order to be elegible for the Shelter City Programme, the HRDs should meet the following conditions:
1. They implement a non-violent approach in their work;
2. They are threatened or otherwise under pressure due to their work;
3. They should be able to be relocated for a period of maximum 3 months. Limited spots are available for people who are not able to stay for the full 3 months;
4. They are willing and able to return to their country of origin after 3 months;
5. They are willing to speak publicly about their experience or about human rights in their country to the extent that their security situation allows;
6. They have a conversational level* of English (limited spots are available for French or Spanish speaking HRDs);
7. They are willing and able to come to The Netherlands without accompaniment of family members;
8. They have a valid passport (with no less than six months of validity) or be willing to carry out the procedures for its issuance. Justice and Peace covers the costs of issuing a passport and / or visa (if applicable);
9. They are not subjected to any measure or judicial prohibition of leaving the country;
10. They are willing to begin their stay in The Netherlands around September 2021.
*By conversational English we mean that participants’ level of English allows them to actively participate in a training, speak about their work, communicate with the host city, etc.
Note that additional factors will be taken into consideration in the final round of selection, such as the added value of a stay in The Netherlands as well as gender, geographic, and thematic balance. Please note that we can only accept HRDs currently residing in a third country under exceptional circumstances.
If you do not meet these conditions, but would still like to apply for relocation, please contact us. We can try to put you in contact with other organisations who have relocation programmes with different parameters.