RELEASE OF LIABILITY WAIVER - READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING
Membership in the World Powerlifting Alliance, its nation affiliates, and the American Powerlifting Association hereon referred to as APA or WPA is a privilege and all participants must be members in good standing. As a condition of participation, I agree to the following and execute this General Release:
In consideration of being permitted to participate in Powerlifting competitions sanctioned by the APA or WPA and it’s affiliate’s, I hereby release Scott Taylor, APA, WPA and international associates, all APA and WPA affiliate meet directors, their assistants, and/or employee’s, and all persons associated therewith and rendering services thereto, from any responsibility or liability for any injury or personal loss to myself, including those caused by the negligent act or omission arising out of or connected with my participation in APA and WPA affiliate powerlifting competitions or the use of any equipment at the powerlifting competitions.
In signing this release form, I acknowledge and represent the following:
1) Powerlifting is a strenuous athletic event. As a sport, accidents can and do happen periodically as a result of the normal danger involved.
2) There is a risk of participation. I recognize this risk and accept it. I shall have the duty to examine all equipment prior to use and immediately inform the proper people of any dangerous condition observed in this equipment, personnel, or event venues. This does not include my own personal like or dislike for a particular piece or brand of equipment, its measurements etc. This includes only dangerous conditions I observe i.e. faulty welds, and malfunctioning equipment.
3) I have the sole responsibility for the condition of my personal lifting gear i.e. bench press shirts, lifting suits, belts, wraps, and other lifting gear I might wear. It is my responsibility to wear such gear in a manner that is safe and least likely to result in injury. The APA, APA and its affiliations/associates are not responsible for any gear blowouts, tears, or any defects in my personal lifting gear.
4) I acknowledge the fact that lifting in gear i.e. bench press shirts and lifting suits greatly increases my chance of injury, especially from lifting suit blowouts, bench press shirt blowouts, and bench press shirts projecting the lifting bar over my face etc. If I am injured wearing gear while competing I agree to hold APA, WPA and it’s affiliate associations any meet staff, employees, and contest facilities and their employee’s, agents, or representatives, blameless for any resulting injury that may occur while wearing lifting gear. I will hold the gear manufacturing company liable for any accident or injury that may occur while wearing lifting gear should I decide to pursue an injury or liability lawsuit.
5) To the best of my knowledge, I am in excellent health and physical condition and capable of performing the feats of strength attempted. I am in agreement that I should have a medical exam by a medical doctor before participating in strenuous sport events such as powerlifting and it is my sole responsibility and not the responsibility of the APA or WPA and its affiliates to know if I am capable of performing such feats of strength or am in excellent health. Should I be injured or my death occur while participating in an APA/WPA sanctioned event, I agree that myself, my heirs, and my executors shall hold the APA, WPA and any of it’s affiliates blameless and free of liability. If I am examined by a medical doctor prior to a powerlifting event and his or her professional medical assessment is wrong, any resulting litigation will be director towards the physician involved.
6) I am the sole decider of the amount of weight to be lifted. I will act in a reasonable manner at all times and not attempt to lift weights that I know are beyond a safe and prudent level for me.
7) If I do not bring my own personal spotters who are familiar with my lifting technique, problem areas during a lift etc. If I do not do so, I may use the spotters provided by APA/WPA and affiliates meet directors. Spotters provided by meet directors are provided solely as a courtesy to lifters who have not bought their own spotters who are familiar with the lifter and his/her lifting style, techniques, or problem areas during a lift. If I do not bring my own personal spotters, I agree to hold the APA, WPA and affiliates, meet director, facility, and any contest helpers and contest or facility employees, agents, or representatives free and blameless of any liability or legal action resulting from any injury I might incur. If I provide my own spotters, I am in agreement that they will be solely responsible for my lifting safety and agree to hold the APA, WPA and affiliates, meet director, facility, and any contest helpers and contest or facility employees, agents, or representatives free and blameless of any liability or legal action resulting from any injury I might incur.
8) Neither the APA, nor any sub-division thereof, nor any agent, servant or employee of the APA or WPA shall be liable to me unless such harm is the result of “intentional” or reckless conduct of such person, which conduct shall not be imputed to any other person or organization. No action for negligent entrustment shall exist.
9) I will be responsible for my behavior and acts of those of my guests. If I do no act in accord with the rules of the WPA or WPA for competition or behavior, I may be told to leave the venue immediately. I will do so voluntarily and shall forfeit all fees paid to the meet director or APA/WPA. In the event litigation should occur, I shall be responsible for my attorney’s fee’s and for payment of the reasonable attorney’s fees of the successful party.
10) This release is reasonable, executed freely, without duress or undue influence, and after the opportunity for careful and independent review. I acknowledge that I have reviewed and understand the contents of this release. I hereby represent and warrant that I have read, reviewed and completed the above waiver consent form.