2020 Madelyn Opal McDowell Butler Servant Leader Scholarship
$1000 Scholarship Application
This scholarship may be used at any four-year College or University (Trade, Technical, and Cosmetology Schools are ineligible.)
African-American high school senior attending school in Tarrant County or Grand Prairie, Texas who has a desire to major in education or a college student who graduated from a Tarrant County or Grand Prairie, Texas high school who demonstrates exemplary leadership, academics and volunteerism in the community.
• Minimum of 2.7 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale
• Completed Scholarship Application
• Application and required documents must be postmarked by February 29, 2020 – submissions postmarked
after the deadline will not be considered.
If applicant becomes a finalist, a personal interview may be required. Finalists will be notified of interview by March 16, 2020. If distance is a concern, the interview may be conducted on a platform like Google Hangouts or Zoom.
• Official application form
• Official high school transcript - Transcript must be unopened with the counselor’s signature along the back of
the envelope. Submitting an unofficial transcript will disqualify your application.
• Proof of SAT or ACT score – All scores must be sealed and unopened. Students can order their scores from
the ACT/SAT testing websites. Check with your counselor because scores may already be on your
official transcript. Submitting unsealed scores will disqualify your application.
• Minimum 70 hours of Community Service
• Essay Topic: What does servant leadership meant to you? Give examples where you have demonstrated
servant leadership and your observations of other servant leaders.
• Minimum 700 words
• 1" margin/double spaced/12 point/Times New Roman font style
• Proof of documentation required or
• A letter on official letterhead from a Teacher or School Counselor and Community Service Supervisor in a sealed envelope confirming.
Mail Official Transcript to: The Arlington Foundation for Excellence in Education | Attn: Scholarship Committee | P.O. Box 150301 | Arlington, TX 76015
Scholarship funds will be disbursed directly to your college or university upon receipt of proof of enrollment.
For more information, please contact: Scholarships@arlingtoneducation.org