Creature Design Workshop - CDW-01
Term 02: (July. 20th - Nov. 20th 2020)
Subject to Change
Mentor: Mike Corriero
Mike is a Concept Artist in the entertainment industry producing creature and character designs, illustrations, icons, items and environments. Mike has worked for such clients as Radical Entertainment, Kingsisle Entertainment, Liquid Development, Hasbro, Paizo Publishing, The Topps Company and many others.
Registration is open for sign up: (Limited to 5 Students) All others will be added to a wait list for the next term.
Course Summary: This will be a 6 week course covering everything from living animals to anatomical structure and basic animal anatomy tied into creature exploration. You’ll be provided with real time videos with mark ups, draw overs/paint overs and narration explaining ways to improve your anatomy and design choices. Students will be provided with links to their videos via Youtube “unlisted” urls, or AVI files via e-mail.
· Week 1: Drawing foundation, structural break up, reconstruction, animal anatomy and form. This covers the basic skills to any believable and successful creature concept. You’ll be asked to choose any two animals of your liking to research and produce studies of based on reference material.
· Week 2: Further studies of your real world animals along with manipulating anatomy, thumbnails and creature sketches. This covers what was learned in Week One and carries over to using that knowledge to produce fictional creatures. Focusing on silhouettes, thumbnail proportions and working with color variants. These exercises will cover the foundation for producing a lot of design choices and color experimentation.
· Week 3: The main focus will be on a fictional creature utilizing the real world animals you’ve chosen. You’ll learn about adding a light source and fine tuning the structure. Anatomy, forms and lighting will be covered to supply more interest to the concept along with learning to take your drawings to a more realistic appeal.
· Week 4: Students will be given a design brief for a fictional “movie/game” in which they will present sketches and a final design. These will be critiqued in the manner of a client art directing a job. You’ll learn how to follow a brief, how to take art direction and supply a design that is ready to be modeled for a game or film. The last week will be focused on the key aspects of the prior weeks while taking the design from Week 3 and working on color variants and rendering techniques. At the end of the week you’ll have a spread sheet of exploratory sketches along with a fully realized design to present in your portfolios.
What to Expect: Anatomy, Form Over Function, Color Theory, Realizing a Species, Design Exploration, Thumbnailing, Rendering Techniques, Lighting and Learning to Create Believable Creatures.
Price: $400 Per Term - a $25 transfer fee is already included (Payment Options; PayPal [preferred], EFT – Electronic Funds Transfer and Check are other options - first contact: firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Payment must be paid up front prior to the start of the term. Refunds will be given based on the Policy & Refunds information below.
Mentor Hours (Monday – Friday: 4pm – 10pm EST) you’ll have contact regarding assignments twice Weekly. Though feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns at any point in time. The hours are the best time to reach me or expect a reply, though subject to change.
Policy & Refunds (This serves as a contract once payment is sent)
1. Payment methods accepted (A) PayPal: $25 transfer fee will be added to total. B) EFT: email us for information regarding Electronic Transfer Funds – Direct Bank Payment. If you’d like to pay by Check, please contact email@example.com for information.
2. Refunds: 100% Refunds are granted 7 days into the 4 week course. A cancellation fee of $100 is required after that period. An invoice will be sent to you regarding the cancellation and the Refund along with the cancellation charge. Cancellation refunds end at midnight EST of the last day of the week.
3. 50% Refund will be given 14 days into the program. An e-mail should be sent stating your interest to leave the program and cancel your spot in the workshop. Cancellation refunds end at midnight EST of the last day of the week.
4. Cancellation: cancellation request must be submitted to MikeCorriero@gmail.com prior to the 7th day or 14th day at midnight EST. Your refund amount will be based on the date of cancellation. Processing will be based on time/date stamp of email.
5. Software & Materials: Students selected for the program are required to provide their own equipment (Computer, Tablet, Traditional supplies etc.) and all students should have a copy of Adobe Photoshop.
6. If you decide to leave the Workshop Program after the first 14 days, you will not be refunded and you will not be allowed to return at a later date until the Term is complete. Students on a wait list may fill your spot if applicable.
7. Payment must be sent Up Front and once it’s received and a confirmation e-mail is sent by Mike Corriero you will be enrolled in the program.
8. For all inquiries regarding refunds and other content or questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission and Acceptance of Payment will serve as a contract to the agreement of the terms stated in the Policy & Refunds clause explained above.